If there were a vote to find the UK’s capital city of supperclubs, Brighton would surely make the shortlist. And this November, Brightonians will be able to have their cake, eat it, and help someone else to eat theirs too, as the disaster relief campaign Shine For ShelterBox brings a series of fundraisers, events, and candlelit feasts, including a dozen pop-ups, to the city.
ShelterBox have teamed up with our favourite multi-sided food fans Polygon Pop-Up in a bid to raise funds for families made homeless by conflict and natural disaster. The campaign’s theme is “light”, and, as Lucy Holden from ShelterBox explains, the aim is to “provide lights that help families in desperate circumstances feel a little bit safer.”
Some of the city’s top chefs, restaurants and food-and-drink businesses will be taking part. See below for the full line-up, but the best-known names include The Set and Pascere doing a Caribbean-inspired mash-up, a banquet at Plateau, and (we’re really excited about this one) a collaboration between 64 Degrees and Cin Cin. “All the people came and the poor got paid!” in the immortal words of Run DMC.
• Polygon Pop-Up – Brighton’s favourite pop-up food festival will host a Shine for ShelterBox feast! Keep your eyes peeled and your bellies hungry for this event, more details coming soon on Facebook.
• Supper with Toby Cackett + Ryan Hunt – (9th November) Sold Out – Two of Brighton’s most talented chefs will be rustling up a celebration of what land and sea has to offer at this special supper club at The Platf9rm.
• 1909 x Black Dove – (9th November) Ticketed – A special supper club hosted by 1909 organic wines, with small plate dining and amazing cocktails from the mixologists at Black Dove.
• The Set & Pascere – (13th November) Ticketed – The Set’s Dan Kenny and Pascere’s Johnny Stanford have created a Caribbean-inspired menu for this very special one-off candle-lit feast at The Set.
• Orange Buffalo x The Joker – (13th November) Free Event – The Orange Buffalo kitchen at The Joker Brighton will be serving award-winning NY style buffalo wings, beastly burgers and more giving 10% of proceeds towards Shine for ShelterBox.
• Plateau – (15th November) Ticketed – Join Plateau for a fundraising three-course supperclub banquet. This promises to be a social, fun evening at one of Brighton’s most chic small plates and fine wine venues.
• 64 Degrees x Cin Cin – (19th November) Ticketed – A special supperclub at Murmur on Brighton seafront, featuring a collaboration between 64 Degrees and Cin Cin staff.
• Baby Bao x The Pond – (19th November) Free Event – Baby Bao to host a fundraising event at The Pond serving up their take on Taiwanese street food in steamed buns with a special “Baby Bao’s Curry Club” in aid of ShelterBox.
• Brighton Beer Dispensary – (20th November) Free Event – A quadruple collaboration that will feature tequilas from Lunazul, a beer line from Good Things Brewing Co and Mexican specials in the evening from award-winning Dizzy Gull.
• Kitgum Kitchen – (29th November) Ticketed – East African street food meets Gujurati home cooking at this special supperclub to raise funds in the heart of Brighton’s Lanes at the Mesmerist.
• Mestiza – (November, date TBC) Ticketed – Local start-up Filipino supperclub will be hosting a delicious four-course supperclub menu.
• PizzaFace & Brighton Bier Brewery – (November, date TBC) Free Event – One of Brighton’s favourite pizza joints and local award-winning brewery, Brighton Bier, will be collaborating at the Bier Haus for a special pizza feast paired with delicious craft beers.
For further details visit the Polygon Pop-Up Facebook Page
And if you’re interested in hosting your own charity pop-up, head to www.shelterbox.org/shine